Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Project: Etsy Posting

Well, I've definitely been behind on these postings, so I figure I'll make one describing my efforts for each project.

For the Etsy posting, I was immediately intrigued by the idea of making food and selling it online--it was so weird and "internet-ey" that I just had to try it. Me and my former housemate had previously created a cake based off of a picture on the internet--the cake appeared normal from the outside, but had several layers of perfectly divided color within. We discoverd that it was as simple as creating X number of increasingly smaller amounts of batter, mixing in whatever colors you wanted and pouring them carefully on top of each other in decending size, ensuring that you minimize the stirring.

I purchased the cake mix from Walmart. Creating the actual batter was fun--I only had the primary colors of food dye, so I got to mix myself some new colors in order to make a proper rainbow. I also decided that seven colors (ROYGBIV) was a bit ambitious for a single cake, so I reduced it to five colors. After prepping the batter and pouring, it was as simple as cooking the cake. The cake actually baked in a strange manner, bubbling up through the center and mixing slightly. However, this made an interesting swirl to the inner pattern of colors that actually ended up looking pretty cool.





Overall, I was very pleased with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment